It’s Saturday morning just outside the Classic City and college football is officially back! Shortly, I’ll begin cooking not one, but two whole ducks (though whether they will be smoked or roasted depends on what the weather does in the next hour or so). Then around noon both tasty lil’ duckies will find themselves swimming in a thick and delicious maple bourbon glaze. I also have a feeling the ducks won’t be the only thing soaking in that bourbon if you know what I mean.
We’ve waited a long time for the new season to arrive. Many have mixed or differing emotions about what begins today. Some are just as tense as ever... indeed, when it comes to college football (and particularly the Dawgs), there really is a very fine line between boisterous joy and total mental breakdown. Others, myself included, are still basking in the sweet relief given to us in January. Honestly, my own approach remains what it has always been — Napoleon’s Battle Plan as paraphrased by Casey McCall on Sports Night: “First we show up. Then we see what happens.” For me, the difference now is I won’t be as crushed if the “what happens” part isn’t what I want it to be.
But that’s enough out of me. For some it’s time to hit the road. For some it’s time to tend the grill. For all of us, it’s time to kick things off!!!
And now your Gameday Morning Dawg Bites:
- There’s been a lot of talk about the high likelihood of Georgia at least making the playoffs again this year. So let’s start with what I know you have all been clamoring for. I can practically hear you begging. That’s right! It’s Dan Mullen’s playoff picks! And you’ll never guess who he left off. No, no, not NC State, he has them making it. And in case you’ve forgotten, this is your reminder that Danny Boy will be an “analyst” for ESPN all season long.
- If you spent last night with visions of sacked quarterbacks dancing in your head, here are a few takes on who Georgia’s sack leader this season might be.
- For those of you headed down to the game today, WSB has a fan guide and schedule of pre-game events that may help you plan your morning and early afternoon activities.
- Anyone who’d like a rundown of all the predictions about today’s game from national media can thank the folks from UGAWire, who’ve been kind enough to aggregate all of them for us.
- Leading up to kickoff, here’s a quick injury report so you’ll know who we may or may not see on the field.
- Finally, we have today’s captains. It’s nice to see both Chris and Nolan Smith getting some love on the defensive side. We’re going to need both to come up big this season.
. @SmithNoland2 @1_blueprint @cpsmithdb @SedrickVanPran #GoDawgs pic.twitter.com/lp5o3EutPd— Georgia Football (@GeorgiaFootball) September 2, 2022
As always, this space will also serve as your Morning Open Comment Thread. Let us know what you’re up to prior to the game and any thoughts you might have on this afternoon’s contest between the #11 Oregon Ducks and your #3 Georgia Bulldogs. We also have the privilege of following along with the knuckleheads over on ESPN and whatever nonsensical ramblings they come up with next. It’s great to be back and to be here with you fine people. Enjoy your morning, enjoy your Saturday, and enjoy the game.