Those of you who’ve been around awhile know that I like to begin our Gameday (or, in this case, Non-Gameday) Dawg Bites with a bit of musical accompaniment. Having burned through the bulk of the R.E.M. catalog over the last five years or so, I decided to switch things up this season. Each week I’m simply going to select a song befitting the day’s events... perhaps a particular locale or Georgia’s opponent or some wackadoo thing Mike Leach said during a press conference. At any rate, to kick things off for Week 0, I turn my eyes and ears to Ireland — a nation that at 12:30 will be subjected, presumably against its will, to a game between Nebraska and Northwestern.
So for the first time this season, let’s get this started...
And now, your (Non)Gameday Morning Dawg Bites:
- As you can imagine, news has slowed to a bit of crawl the last few days leading up to honest-to-God game week. That said, there was a massive breaking news story at the end of the week. You may have missed it, but I can’t imagine how.
- I don’t much go for pre-season predictions, but I do enjoy how mad Tony Barnhart is going to make a few fanbases with his picks.
- If you’ve been just dying to get back to spending your Saturday mornings with Desmond Howard and Kirk Herbstreit, bless your heart. But also, you can start a week early as College Gameday will be hosting a 2-hour “Season Preview” special from 10am to noon. They will not, however, be “coming to your citaaay,” as Rece Davis will be delivering zing to your zang zang and ting to your tang tang exclusively from ESPN HQ and being joined remotely by David Pollack, Desmond, Herbie, and an elderly gentleman who seems to have wandered out of the furry convention he was attending.
- And speaking of Mr. ‘93 Citrus Bowl:
Certified BALLER‼️— College GameDay (@CollegeGameDay) August 26, 2022
Brock Bowers takes the "Top Baller" Herbie Award pic.twitter.com/GtM04Kpw8x
Can’t exactly say I disagree with the selection.
- Before I get out of here, y’all know I like a good player profile... and what do you know, I just happened to find a good one about Kamari Lassiter.
That’s all for now folks. This space will also serve as your Week 0 Open Comment Thread. Drop in and let us know what games you’re watching (if any), how you’re passing the hours until we get to the good stuff next weekend, and grace us with any other thoughts you’ve got knocking around the ol’ noggin.