Well, we’ve come to another beautiful early fall morning here just outside the Classic City. Tonight your #2 Georgia Bulldogs will take on the South Carolina Gamecocks. And you know what that means... it’s time to get a few beverages in you and start eating some of that good, good chicken. Fried, smoked, baked, or barbecued, it’s up to you, but please do your part to help control the poultry population. As you get your day started, let’s begin with a little mood music from R.E.M. by way of Jason Isbell:
Now on to your Gameday Morning Dawg BItes:
- In its first two games, Georgia has played likely the best defense it will face in the entire regular season and a squad that seemed perfectly happy to give up one deep pass after another, so this take strikes me as a little premature.
- Former coach and DGD Mark Richt’s new book is out and appears to be flying off the shelves. That was certainly the case at Coach Richt’s book signing at the UGA Bookstore.
- Seth Emerson over at The Athletic ($) looks at how the current playoff fortunes of Ohio State and Oregon potentially impact the odds of the Dawgs making the playoff field.
- Speaking of the Buckeyes, if for some reason you were wondering what a bunch of Ohio State writers think we’ll see during tonight’s game, well... that’s why the internet exists, I guess.
- On the recruiting trail, a big-time 5-star receiver has Georgia in his Top 3 and the Dawgs will be facing off against some familiar competition for his commitment.
- Finally, with some disappointing news from off the gridiron, the Georgia women’s soccer team was handed a loss (3-0) as they opened conference play against Auburn. This broke a six-game win streak for the Dawgs.
This is also the open comment thread for your gameday morning festivities. Let us know how you’ll be spending your time leading up to tonight’s game, share any last minute thoughts on the matchup between the Dawgs and the Gamechickens, and give us your takes on today’s early game action. Macondawg will be along later with an afternoon comment thread and, of course, threads for your use during the contest at Sanford Stadium tonight.