Good Thursday morning, everyone...and a fine morning it is! The birds are singing, the mornings now have a sensational fall chill, I’m not staring at an October hurricane down here in the Swamps of Broward, we are the #1 ranked team in the land, and Kirby Smart is doing Kirby Smart things on the recrootin’ trail. Perhaps you haven’t heard? Well, pour another cup and step right up.
- As Macondawg has so eloquently reported, Mykel Williams has flipped from his long-time commitment to Southern California to the good guys. If you haven’t read his writeup on this super talented defender, you should. This is really big news and Williams is the kind of kid who is probably a pretty good recruiter himself.
5-Star defensive lineman @MykelW_50 is staying in Georgia. The newest @GeorgiaFootball commit explains why he chose Athens over the west coast & head coach @Coach_Thompson_ explains the player the Dawgs are getting @WRBLSports #GoDawgs pic.twitter.com/032b5s6knN— Rex Castillo (@rexcastillotv) October 20, 2021
- As expected, J.T. Daniels has to knock off a bit of “rust” as his work load gradually increases and he works his way back into football shape. It would appear we are starting to get healthy just in time to beat the brakes off of Florida. Yeah, I know we all need the bye (Honey-Do lists & such), but the next 10 days are never going to get here.
- SEC Shorts did a follow up vignette on the goings-on last Saturday in Knoxville. They never disappoint.
Neyland Stadium gate security did their usual bang-up job this week. pic.twitter.com/o5lQzgq3Cb— SEC Shorts (@SECShorts) October 20, 2021
- Booger Eater News: Dan Mullen is saying “No changes at quarterback.” Check back tomorrow...then Saturday...then next Wednesday. As they say, it’s a fluid situation.
- In college football, “long term future” has a different meaning from most professions. In Mullen’s case, a lot hinges upon what happens in Jacksonville. No matter what goes down on October 30, it’ll be interesting to see if the NFL comes a’ courtin’ and how this plays out. Good times.
- In basketball news, Tom Crean’s job is hard enough. Now, senior forward P.J. Horne is out for the season after suffering a knee injury in practice. Speedy recovery, P.J.
- Here’s a story about one of Vince Dooley’s Dawgs from back in the mid-late 1970’s. Jim Akacki was recruited to play defense, then switched to the offensive line and was part of some good teams from 1975-1979 (‘76 team was SEC Champs). Also mentioned in the article is former Georgia rover Bill Krug. I briefly worked with Krug way back in the day at the old Kroger on Broad Street by ABC Package when I was in 10th grade. He’d never remember me, but I remember him. A super nice guy and a helluva football player and was always around the ball along with his linebacker teammate, Ben Zambiasi. And if you can decipher the narrative of this particular piece, you’ve done better than most. Sheeeesh.
- Anyone else a bit bleary-eyed from staying up late watching the Braves? Our SB Nation sister site, Talking Chop has some excellent writers and great analysis if you haven’t checked them out. Chop On!
That’s all for now, folks. Hope you have a wonderful day and are more productive than I have become lately. Football season is quite the distraction, no? Not that I’m complaining but I’m sure my boss is.
AS ALWAYS, GO DAWGS!