Well, here we are, in the middle of the worst Pandemic in our lifetime. There is so much information out there - as well as disinformation - to process. It’s a bit overwhelming, right? Sometimes, it’s just good to talk about it; acknowledge what it transpiring and how you are feeling. I thought I’d post a little forum for anyone who has anything on their minds. Has something made you laugh? Cry? Do you need to vent a bit (please, try not to get political. That’s what cable television is for).
Here I go, with some thoughts (oh, about 15) and other ramblings:
1. Perhaps you have something to share that could benefit others (like, how to make toilet paper out of aluminum. Recycled Coke Zero cans I have. Charmin double roll I don’t). An underrated movie that the Academy totally whiffed on? Perhaps a good book or two?
2. Have you found yourself suddenly unemployed with more questions than answers? I have been there, my friends. The Great Recession of 2008-2010 was something that I honestly didn’t think I could recover from, yet I did, and I chose something that would position me to withstand another crisis. I’ll tell you about it if you’d like.
3. After taking inventory of my kitchen pantry, I have discovered that my wife somehow has accumulated 12 tins of Sardines in Tomato Sauce over the last year or so. Some sort of crazy protein diet she tried. I’ll buy anyone a case of Tropicalia (proof of I.D. req’d, naturally. Vox lawyers insist I put this in) if they can give me a good recipe for this. Otherwise, I’m donating it all to a Wuhan food bank.
4. Someone on my floor was diagnosed yesterday. Of course, HIPPA laws won’t allow our big boss to reveal who it was, so immediately the rumors began to fly. Have I come into contact with this individual? There is a good chance that I have, and I really would like to know who it is. I want to know, “should I quarantine?” My respect for healthcare providers and first responders has only increased.
5. My wife checked the Broward County Animal Adoption Services website today. She was thinking about getting us a kitten. Good news! They’ve almost all been adopted, puppies and adult dogs, too. This tells me that there are a lot of people out there that have opened up their hearts. Anyone just adopt a little fur baby? Tell me.
A message from your friends at CBS Sports pic.twitter.com/PIyvhcStdz— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) April 3, 2020
6. I was really looking forward to watching the Braves. So much so, I sprang for the MLB Network package for the entire season. I really miss the days of “Braves Baseball on TBS.” I believe we’ll see baseball again, perhaps in only a 3 month season if, and only if, the contagion peaks and the entire social distancing thing works. I’m probably too much the optimist, but that’s how I roll.
7. How are your kids? Are they taking this all in stride, or can you begin to see some real anxiety creep into their young lives? We don’t have kids at home and all the young people in my neighborhood are nowhere to be seen. I miss that. A month ago, I was pitching the baseball around with a young man who lives 3-doors down. I haven’t seen him since.
8. I’m craving a big ‘ol nasty plate of Nachos with extra jalepenos and sour cream. Don’t put chicken on my nachos, either. That’s like putting ketchup on a hot dog. When the all clear is given, this is probably the first the on my list: I’m going out somewhere and getting myself a big ol’ serving of U.S.D.A. prime grade-A grease.
9. I just started watching “The Americans.” I’m really enjoying it. I’ll never look at Keri Russell the same, that little Mink from Minsk. Does this series get better over time, or worse? Still mad at Game of Thrones, though.
10. We’d better play some college football. Even if the season is shortened, and the playoffs are scrapped, I really want to see Jamie Newman get out there and do his thing. I also want to beat the brakes off of Florida.
11. How do you feel about the state of American manufacturing? Is this going to cause a paradigm shift and bring more production back to the 50-states? Should toilet paper manufacturing be federalized? I was able to find a box of Hostess Twinkies the other day. You have no earthly idea how happy this made me.
To fire up his team, @GeorgiaFootball coach Mark Richt told the Bulldogs to celebrate hard enough to draw a penalty after their first TD.— SEConCBS (@SEConCBS) March 30, 2020
The plan resulted in the famous “Gator Stomp” in 2007. pic.twitter.com/ogjQbGgdLy
I watched this in its entirety the other day. It made me happy.
12. I used to build models when I was a kid. Then, about 20 years ago I briefly picked the hobby back up and started to get really, really good at it. Bought a fancy airbrush and a ton of hobby tools. Then, inexplicably, I stopped again. Anyone who has ever been a modeler is probably a lot like me: You have more kits in storage than you could possibly build in a lifetime. Anyway, my plan this weekend is to give it a go. I have a really cool Tamiya (that’s a brand) DeHavilland Mosquito (That’s a British twin-engined fighter-bomber, mostly made out of wood). I’m going to begin. Maybe I’ll post some pics when I’m finished. See? I’m now actually excited about this. Hobbies are important.
13. Here’s an extremely personal question? How is your faith? I’m not a regular chuch-going person. Way, way back in the day, I’m one of those guys who regularly attended church at least 2 out of 4 Sundays per month. Why? That 50% rate is what kept me eligible for being able to play church-league softball. Seriously, though. I miss those days and my “hometown” place of worship. Today - in this moment - I am leaning on my faith. I hope you have this as well, no matter your religion. This is a good opportunity to re-connect to a higher power. I think a lot of people feel this way, at least I do. Pax Vobiscum...
14. I was lined up at my local Publix the other morning, waiting to get in early and hoping for paper-products. There weren’t any. When this is all over, I’m getting out of tech stocks. I’m getting out of financials, too. I’m buying up consumer goods. Anyone looked at their retirement portfolio lately? Don’t. Just do not. Economists are largely expecting a sort of “V” shaped bounce-back once the peak of the pandemic ends. I think the bounce back will look more like a check mark...with a long tail. I’m 10 years from retiring, give or take. At least, I hope so...
15. Be good to one another. Stay home and stay well, err’body. Are you experiencing mood swings? Boy, I am. I’ve got to check myself and I found that exercising is really helping. I’ve lost 4 lbs. in the last week (intermittent fasting + some cardio seems to be working). Take care of yourselves. This is a good opportunity, methinks.
That’s all I’ve got. Weigh in if you’d like. Blast away, too. Just keep it SFW.