The sun is still low in the sky. The aroma of the day’s first cup of coffee wafts through the room. Outside, the air is still cool enough for you to forget for a moment that it is August. Somewhere, Jim McElwain is still asleep, spooning a cartilaginous fish.
The first legit gameday morning of the season is officially upon us... so pour out that coffee and open up the Maker’s, y’all!!!
Let’s begin again, as has become tradition:
(Author’s Note: I began the season with this song in the first Gameday Open Comment Thread of 2017. I failed to remember this at the beginning of last season and, instead, chose “Pilgrimage”. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to the entire Dawg Sports community for the strife they experienced (which we know conclusively I was entirely responsible for). I assure you that this oversight will never occur again.)
And now, your Gameday Morning Dawg Bites:
- If you missed it, @GeorgiaFootball on Twitter has another goosebump-inducing game trailer:
Now, I have to imagine that gives you some feelings heading into the season and tonight’s game. Earlier in the week, GlimmerTwinDawg shared that he “gets weak” just thinking about it. Well, I have some feelings about our beloved Dawgs and the season that begins today as well. Allow me to share them. I’m sorry Housemother.
- I wasn’t a huge fan of the Red and Black when I was in school. I’m not going to get into details, but let’s just say that my name may have appeared in its pages in a way that painted me in a light that was less than flattering (which is kind of funny now that I think about it... given what I’ve just written about myself in the preceding bullet point). At any rate, nowadays the coverage is uniformly excellent. As is this look at the potential pitfalls and areas of growth you should be looking for as the Bulldogs first take the field for the 2019 season.
- Dawgs247 tells you what you already knew with an analysis of which team has the edge at each position group.
- Speaking of what to watch for, DawgNation has a list of players for you to keep an eye on. There’s some decent info here, but the notion that anyone wouldn’t already be watching Jake Fromm like a hawk makes me the think the AJC staff has been hitting the Maker’s Mark harder than I have.
- I have a feeling this hotel room may be a heck of a lot harder to book in 2 years.
This is your open comment thread for pregame celebration and merriment. How are you spending your first college football Saturday morning? What do you expect to see today? What sort of wildlife do you suspect Dan Mullen of secretly cuddling while nude? If you’re looking for a repository for your thoughts on booze, BBQ, the chuckleheads on ESPN, or just general tomfoolery, you’ve come to the right place.
Macondawg will be back later on today with your comment threads for the afternoon and evening.