As you are no doubt aware, today is Championship Game Saturday. Our #4 Georgia Bulldogs are taking on the #2 LSU Tigers at 4:00 p.m., and I honestly don’t know that there is anything I can say about this game that hasn’t already been said. I’ve looked at all the potential scenarios forwards and backwards and upside down, but I’m still not exactly sure what I think is the most likely outcome. So instead of giving it any more thought, I’m going to just relax and enjoy one last opportunity to prep food for the family throughout the morning and imbibe beverages at an hour that is not traditionally socially acceptable. Regardless of my hopes and anxieties, the clock will hit 0:00, we’ll all still have each other, and it will have been a great day to be a Georgia Bulldog.
And now for the portion of the proceedings where I eschew authorial intent and use the words of the best Athens has to offer to express my sentiments:
Here are some Championship Gameday Morning Dawg Bites:
- Let’s begin with some photos on commentary from Dawgs247 as the team took the field at Mercedes-Benz Stadium yesterday.
- The Red & Black hands out it’s 2019 regular season awards. I don’t really have an argument with any of the choices (aside from a semantic one with the final award... which The R&B staff both acknowledges and ignores, which is what I’m going to choose to do as well). Overall, a very solid list.
- Sports Illustrated (Bulldog Maven) brings us a profile of Dominick Blaylock... and y’all know I’m a sucker for a good profile.
- A Georgia QB who had a fair bit of success in an SEC Championship Game against LSU gives his thoughts on Jake Fromm in this afternoon’s game. For what it’s worth, Shockley had a very 2019 Fromm-esque stat line in that particular game (6/12, 112 yds, 2 TD).
- In former Dawg news, Roquan Smith of the Chicago Bears appears to have torn a pectoral muscle and looks to be out for the remainder of the season. Best of luck and a speedy recovery to an all-time Georgia great.
- Finally, if for some reason you want to read some hot garbage, Bleacher Report continues to do Bleacher Report things. Sure, there are a smattering of factually accurate points, but when you wrap them in a package of wild conjecture (“The trend line is no longer pointing upward for a Georgia program that a few short years ago seemed to be on its way to becoming the next Alabama”) and cherry picked standards that are applied to virtually no other team (“no wins over teams in the Top Eight in the CFP rankings”), I don’t know how anyone can take this dreck seriously. Also, written by a Florida alum... so there’s that.
This is also your Championship Gameday Morning Open Comment Thread. Use it to share your plans for the day, any thoughts you may have on today’s games that are more concrete than my own, and share in the company of your fellow Dawg Sports community members. Macondawg will be around shortly with additional threads for the games throughout the day and, of course, the SEC Championship Game.