The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is upon us. I have no idea what to expect today and, frankly, I’m not sure how anyone could come to a conclusion about what we’ll witness when the Dawgs take the field in Jacksonville at 3:30 (aside from Gary Danielson rambling incoherently, of course). Georgia has a pretty clear talent advantage, but the likelihood of success for the Red and Black rests squarely upon whether or not certain members of the coaching staff (whom I’ll choose not to name) have decided to take their heads out of their rear ends. And I pray that they have because there are few things I enjoy more than a victory over the Gators and their insufferable fanbase and few things I hate more than the alternative. Either way, the future is now and it’s time to kick things off.
Let’s do this:
And now for some WLOCP Gameday Morning Dawg Bites:
- While on the surface this headline may seem obvious and the content within the article both overly broad and sort of meaningless to anyone that follows Georgia regularly (as you may have come to expect from USA Today), it does serve as a good reminder that games like today’s shape the narrative and perception of the program to those outside of Bulldog Nation to a disproportionate degree.
- If you’re looking for predictions, the “experts” at CBS have a very slight edge for Georgia in their picks. It might be worth noting, as well, that everyone picking the Dawgs also thinks they’ll beat the spread.
- Speaking of prognosticating, it’s always fun to see the opposing side fantasizing about what will be before the game is even played. Even in the best of years for the Dawgs, the lead up to this game leaves me chewing my nails to the quick. Unearned confidence must be something they instill at freshman orientation in Gainesville.
- And in that same vein, I remember what it’s like to talk yourself into being psyched about having the 5th best recruiting class in the SEC. Mullen just keeps delivering.
- Finally, off the gridiron, the Dawgs picked up a last minute win over the Gators on the soccer field to find their way into the SEC tournament. Here’s hoping for a repeat performance on the shores of the St. Johns, albeit without the “last minute” part (for the good of our collective hearts and livers).
This is also your Gameday Morning Open Comment Thread as your #8 Georgia Bulldogs prepare to take on the #6 Florida Gators in the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. Here is your opportunity to share how you’re spending your cocktail party time in Jacksonville, how your own personal cocktail party at home is shaping up, what you expect to see today, and any thoughts you may have on the other games of the day. Macondawg will be back later on with additional comment threads as we approach kickoff.