Join me again on a nightmare musical journey through the mid to late 1990s. A journey of terror and woe which I’ve chosen to run parallel (and in stark contrast) to these blissful days of Bulldog dominance.
The year? 1998. The film? Disturbing Behavior. A time when James Marsden wasn’t a murderous HBO robot and Katie Holmes wasn’t the ex-Mrs. Tom Cruise strewn across the check-out aisle tabloids. Before Nick Stahl ended up in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and way before he randomly disappeared and started getting arrested for lewd conduct and possession of crystal meth. A simpler time. A time when Jim Donnan stalked the sidelines of Sanford Stadium... you know... let’s block that part out.
In 1998, The Flys released their one and only hit. A song from the Disturbing Behavior soundtrack which, in my twisted mind, perfectly encapsulates tomorrow’s game between the Georgia Bulldogs and the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders. In a sort of creepy, semi-misogynistic, “wow, this hasn’t aged well” kind of way. Plus, being 1998 it’s got an adult contemporary meets nu-metal vibe and, towards the end, just when you least expe- Oh my God, he’s rapping. Anyway, here we go...
And now, on to your Friday Morning Dawg Bites:
- Just in case you were under a rock and somehow missed it:
- Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the shift to ESPN News at Noon has saved us from spending another Saturday with the dulcet tones of Beth Mowins.
- I’m no fan of Chip Towers. But I am a fan of Mike Bobo (particularly when he isn’t wearing a headset in Sanford Stadium). This is a nice article.
- Hot Rod just keeps on being a Damn Good Dawg.
- If you haven’t read Loran Smith’s toast to the ‘68 and ‘78 Dawgs, you should.
- As usual, The Senator has the best takes. This time its on Georgia’s currently 118th-ranked sack numbers.
- It’s never too early to start looking for the defensive stars of the future.
- Finally, today is Friday. Which means yesterday was Thursday. And you know what that means! More Throwdown Thursday from the UGA S&C Staff!
That’s all for now, folks. Until later...