We’re now a week away from the best weekend of the year... the first weekend of college football. I mean, technically, there are a couple of games this weekend, but I’m not gonna get all jacked up for Hawaii and Colorado State. Don’t get me wrong, I’m gonna watch it. Hell, I’m probably gonna stay up until 2 a.m. watching Wyoming and New Mexico State. But that doesn’t mean I’m gonna get hyped (Narrator: He was definitely getting hyped).
Anyway, next weekend is the real deal and, for that, you should be getting excited. As we kick off our first full week of wall-to-wall Georgia football coverage here at Dawg Sports (and my first nostalgia-fueled musical nightmare selection of the season), I figured I ought to show any new readers how we do it. So tip up your cup and throw your hands up and let me hear the party say...
And now, the news:
- Let’s start the day with a feel-good story. I saw this the other day on Twitter but here is an official write-up from The Red & Black on former Dawg Arthur Lynch’s path from Georgia to the NFL to injury rehab to the military. Lynch is a quality Twitter follow, by the way.
- From a Red & Black story about a former Dawg doing the right things, we have another about a former Dawg casting him in a much less favorable light. I sure do hope Sims can get himself straightened out. Much like nothing good happens after midnight, nothing good happens in an Athens Wal-Mart... or any other Wal-Mart for that matter.
- Enough with the off-field business, let’s talk about the coming season! Georgia has 12 players on the Coaches All-SEC Pre-Season Team. I didn’t see any glaring omissions, but as usual, I suspect the post-season list will look a bit different (especially in terms of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team rankings).
- I’m not exactly sure why I care about such things as they are pretty self-evident, but I have to admit The Senator really did get me with this headline.
- Time to feast your eyes on some practice pics!
- I’m no Carolina Panthers fan, but I am very much a Thomas Davis and Charles Johnson fan... and this is just a great story.
- Back in April, I tweeted the following:
Congratulations to Seth on this well-deserved opportunity.— RedCrake (@RedCrake) April 18, 2018
Although... from a selfish perspective, as someone that has to put together an aggregate links post during football season, this seems suboptimal. https://t.co/VBhZYjDDRx
So, this being that aggregate links post and me being here unable to link to Seth’s awesome work, I’ll just take this opportunity to once and for all say that Seth Emerson is the reason I subscribed to The Athletic. If you did the same, I think you’d be pleased. Also, check out Will Leitch’s outstanding interview with Seth.
- Finally (and somewhat related), if you haven’t already treated your ear holes to two of the best podcasts money can’t buy, I suggest you indulge in the latest episodes of both Waitin’ Since Last Saturday and Chapel Bell Curve. Come for the quality Georgia Bulldogs analysis, stay for the Northwestern jabs and McGarity hate (respectively).
On a side note, as mentioned above, there is college football tomorrow night. Hawaii and Colorado St. at 7:30 on CBSSN and Wyoming and New Mexico St. at 10:00 on ESPN2 (Not to mention Jacksonville St. and NC A&T on ESPN at 7:00). If your thirst for college football is as in need of quenching as my own, we’ll have an open comment thread here starting at 7 p.m. Just a few drinks, a few laughs, maybe a therapy session to help us cope with this sickness that is so clearly chipping away at our mental faculties... you know, a typical Saturday night at Dawg Sports.
That’s all for now folks.
Until later... GOOOO DAWGS!!!