Erk Russell is afforded legendary status for many reasons.
Among them, for both Georgia and Georgia Southern fans, is his Friendly Reminder Calendar, a guide to his charges through the years. Given the on-field results, it was one of his many motivational tactics that worked.
Among the highlights:
- Run with vigor and gusto. If they’re not available, run alone. But run, run, run!!
- Dear Abby: Only three weeks ‘til football and my boys aren’t working. What do you say?
Dear Ole Coach, Adios!
- Think BIG today. Get a BIG neck. Run a BIG mile.
- There’s nothing like being a Bulldog on a Saturday night after a win. Run to win!
- When the roll is called up yonder in Athens, I’ll be there! Will you? Go to church in the morning. Run in the afternoon.
- Roses are red, violets are blue. Coaches kids like to eat, coaches do too. Please get in shape.
- Today is a day of rest. That means go to church and sunday school and run the rest of the day! Ask the preacher to run, too.
- Last Sunday at home. Go to church, say a prayer for the Dogs. Remember, he who runneth not getteth not in shape and loseth all his games.
- “You can’t con Vince. You must convince.”
- Pictures today. Steaks for those that make their weight, jello for those who don’t.
- Today’s lecture will concern the hereafter. If you’re not here what I’m after, I’ll be here after you’re gone.
Go Dawgs and GATA!