Kirby Smart was back in front of the microphone earlier today to talk about how excited his team is to play the UMass Minutemen. Why are you laughing? It’s not funny, they’re as good a 4-7 FBS Independent as you’ll find.
In all seriousness, Kirby did have some thoughts about what’s motivating his team this week, as well as some thoughts on...
• Why Georgia’s been so good in the two minute drill this season.
• An update on the MASH unit that currently hangs out in the offensive line meeting room. With all the bruised and banged up big uglies we’ve had, just imagine what our offensive line would look like if Sam Pittman hadn’t been stockpiling blue chippers in the past couple of recruiting classes. I can give you a visual: starting left tackle Prather Hudson.
• The top Dawg’s thoughts on Georgia’s (eventually) upcoming series with Clemson and Texas.
• Some interesting notes on a handful of young defensive backs making a push for more playing time. The competition on the back end of the Bulldog defense seems to have really made a difference as the season has progressed, and that’s a great sign for 2019.
• A really good discussion of how Georgia approaches special teams, and why the things they try to do in that phase of the game may not show up on the stat sheet the way they do on the field.