We now know that the Georgia Bulldogs will be playing the Oklahoma Sooners in the Rose Bowl on January 1, 2018. We also know that the Dawgs are one of four teams still in control of their own destiny in the pursuit of a National Championship. Furthermore, we know that it is going to be a long, anguishing wait to see how this will all play out. So, in the meantime, it may help to distract ourselves with the minutiae of the day’s Dawg news.
But before we get to that, I have something to share that I find both intriguing and deeply humiliating. Because I love the Dawg Sports community, I’ll endure the embarrassment and push through. Earlier in the week I received an email from Spotify with a link to a website offering to break down (in excruciating detail) my listening habits in 2017. According to the site, during the course of the last year, I have listened to over 15,000 minutes of music from 569 different artists. Unsurprisingly, my most frequently listened-to artist was R.E.M.. However, I was both shocked and alarmed to learn that my most frequently listened-to song was the following:
I guess in music, as in life and in football, I really am the king of wishful thinking. And that’s not a terrible description for where I will find myself over the next month... aside from all of the song’s romantic imagery and the it being prominently featured in the film Pretty Woman. Although, now that I think about it, Georgia would probably have to be considered the Julia Roberts of the College Football Playoff. Oklahoma is Jason Alexander. Ohio State is Laura San Giacomo (LOL!). I’m not sure who Richard Gere would be... not Alabama or Clemson... maybe the trophy? Perhaps I’m giving this too much thought...
On to your Thursday Morning Dawg Bites:
- If you haven’t seen it yet, this is a fun story from the SECCG about making sure to practice what you preach.
- I don’t know that any of us need any additional reasons to love Roquan Smith, but here is one anyway:
UGA's Roquan Smith asked about playing at Rose Bowl Stadium: "I still don't think it's better than Sanford Stadium." pic.twitter.com/chrH7ait9A— Marc Weiszer (@marcweiszer) December 7, 2017
- In recruiting news, while the Dawgs are still a long way from potentially landing him, 2018 5-star, #2 ranked DE Brenton Cox has de-committed from Ohio State and plans to visit UGA.
- If you’re anything like me, you always look forward to the well-researched and thoughtful commentary of the announcers selected to call Georgia games. Good news. It’s Herbie Time! That said, the inclusion of Maria Taylor does soften the blow.
- I generally hesitate to wade into these matters (because, frankly, opinions shouldn’t matter in situations such as these), so I’ll just say that, potential PR concerns aside, it doesn’t look like Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson will be missing any time.
- Seth Emerson brings you a nice profile of Georgia superstar-in-the-making, D’Andre Swift.
- Hail to the King, baby.
- Finally, The Senator points out that, though you can question how extensively Georgia may utilize Jake Fromm, some narratives are straight stupid.
That’s it for now, folks. Until next time...