The Dawgs finished off the regular season at 11-1 and have a rematch with Auburn ahead in the SEC Championship Game.
While the actual game is getting plenty of headlines, there is no shortage of other news in the conference. We’ll try and make sense of the coaching carousel in the league.
Here is what’s happening around the SEC:
- After Chip Kelly decided to go to UCLA and Scott Frost said “no thanks”, the Florida Gators have hired Dan Mullen to be their new head coach. Mullen returns to the school where he spent four years as offensive coordinator. He has a track record of developing quarterbacks such as Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, and Dak Prescott, which more than likely played a big role in his hiring given the poor performances from that position at Florida.
- Tennessee appeared ready to hire Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano to be their new head coach. However, after backlash from fans, former players, and boosters, both due to his coaching career and being named in documents alleging he knew about the Jerry Sandusky child abuse while at Penn State, the Vols have walked away from Schiano. They will now look to hire a different head coach, one who is alright with being Plan B behind Schiano.
- Texas A&M has fired head coach Kevin Sumlin after six years at the program. Sumlin had a good run at Texas A&M and an even better buyout clause. He is due the remaining $10.4 million within 60 days, and is fully guaranteed even if he accepts another job. A&M now turns to hiring a new head coach, with Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher at the top of their wishlist.
- Arkansas has fired head coach Bret Bielema after going 4-8 in 2017. In fact, Arkansas fired Bielema literally as he was walking off the field following their 48-45 loss against Missouri. Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn appears to be the Razorbacks’ first choice to be their new head coach, although one would think that is unlikely given the success Auburn is having this season.
- Ole Miss has removed the interim tag off head coach Matt Luke, hiring him on officially to be their next head coach.
- Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason is expected to be a candidate for the Arizona State head coaching vacancy after the Sun Devils fired head coach Todd Graham.
- South Carolina offensive coordinator Kurt Roper looks to be a strong possibility to become the next Rice head coach.
Until next time… GO DAWGS!!!