I’ve noticed a troubling trend in the discourse around Dawg Nation as the season has rolled along. My initial theory was that maybe it went back to some of the more contentious debates toward the end of the Richt era, when many felt like they were so very right and others were so very wrong. Or perhaps it’s simply a fanbase attempting to come to grips with a feeling almost entirely foreign to many of them. The feeling that maybe it actually is our destiny to sit atop the college football world, instead of just being its most lovable also-rans. Regardless, there seems to be something of an us versus them mentality at times when discussing the proper attitude one should have regarding the current and potential fortunes of our Georgia Bulldogs. Those of us who are just tickled pink with the way things are going have difficulty understanding why anyone would choose to fret during such a glorious time in modern UGA history. Those who choose to “Munson” their days away don’t understand why the absolutely giddy portion of the fanbase would choose to curse our beloved Dawgs with such blatant and disrespectful displays of sheer joy.
I know I’ve been guilty of it. Maybe you have been too.
But the fact of the matter is that both the positive (perhaps overly so) and negative (perhaps overly so) perspectives are perfectly reasonable positions to hold as a Georgia fan in 2017. Both are come by honestly and both provide comfort for those that hold them. So as we prepare to completely destroy the South Carolina Gamecocks like no team has ever been destroyed before (sorry... I couldn’t help myself and that got out of hand), it’s worth asking ourselves a simple question:
Do you know how you can tell that I have just the best taste in music? I planned an entire trip to the Grand Ole Opry specifically to see Restless Heart perform this song “What’s with this Lorrie Morgan bullcrap? I CAME HERE TO SEE RESTLESS F’N HEART!!! WOOOOOO!!!” Best. Night. Ever.
And with that, let’s move on to our Thursday Morning Dawg Bites.
- From the “In Case You Missed It” files: I don’t always love everything that comes out of the mothership. But this? This I like quite a bit (I could have done without the snarky quip at the end... but old habits die hard, I guess).
- We have the usual Wednesday practice report... delivered, as usual, with far more enthusiasm than one could reasonably expect The Red & Black to muster given the media restrictions.
- Speaking of The Red & Black, this is just a lovely profile of Lorenzo Carter.
- Will Muschamp doesn’t share the opinion of his “mouth writing checks his body can’t cash” safety, Chris Lammons. After seeing what Georgia did the last time opposing players ran their mouths, I’d be in damage control mode too. Unfortunately, Coach Larry doesn’t realize that the same thing was always going to happen either way.
- Just a fantastic recommendation from The Senator. Was that as good for you as it was for me?
- Finally, as much as I’m just enjoying this time spent at #1 (though fully aware that it may not last), I’m loving Kirby Smart’s approach. He’s really striking a great balance between taking in the moment (right after the game) and stone-cold, brutal, machine-like focus and efficiency (all the other times).
That’s all for now folks. Until later...