The 'Dawgs and Tigers are knotted at 21 apiece as we begin the second half of
few random thoughts.
- The secondary had some busts where the commentators talked about defenders not looking around for the ball. I think a little of that was some confusion at the snap that put those defensive backs a step behind.
- All in all I wasn't displeased with the defense against a solid opponent in the first half. There were busts, but by and large they didn't fold like we've seen at times in years past. I don't know if they'll get the game-winning stop tonight against the Country Gentlemen, but I've seen enough to make me optimistic for the remainder of the year.
- Todd Gurley's kickoff return was set up behind an old school "wedge" formation that was very well executed. I can't believe I typed that about a Bulldog kick return.
- Hutson Mason was 11 of 15 passing in the first half for a pedestrian 68 yards. My sense is that the Bulldog coaches aren't asking him to do too much at this point, but a lot of that low yardage total is attributable to Clemson tackling extremely well.
- Speaking of Gurley, he tallied only 4 rushes in the first half but averaged 11 yards per carry. How do I say this so that it gets through. Feed. The. Gurley!
Let's bring this one home. Until later . . .