This is Numbers To Know, your weekly look inside the facts and figures that may just decide this afternoon's Bulldog football game. This week's edition is full of bad, bad numbers for the Vanderbilt Commodores. That's probably why I'm so terrified.
6. The number of times the Commodores have won a football game in the Classic City. They've lost 27 such affairs. 6 is also the number of wins James Franklin posted in his first year in Nashville, following Robbie Caldwell's lone 2-10 campaign at the helm of the Vanderbilt football squad. Vanderbilt trails in the all-time series 19-53-2.
1958. The last year that Vanderbilt beat Georgia in back-to-back seasons.
1070. The number of days since Vanderbilt had returned a kickoff for a touchdown before Darrius Sims returned 2 against South Carolina on September 20th (the last one had been Andre Hall's 96 harder against Georgia in 2011).
36. The number of tackles so far this season by Vanderbilt linebacker Nigel Bowden, a Macon (Central H.S.) native who's started all five games for the 'Dores after the Bulldogs passed on him following a knee injury. That number leads SEC freshmen. Bowden is a big, thumping run-stuffer who will likely acquaint himself with Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, and Brendan Douglas early and often today.
22. The number of Commodores who've made their first career start during the 2014 season. The SEC is really young all over this year, and Vanderbilt is no exception. The Nashville Nauticals have played 31 freshmen in total.
376. The number of yards Vandy freshman tailback Ralph Webb needs to break Kwame Doster's Commodore record for rushing yards by a freshman (798). Webb is a tough, physical runner who gets yards after contact. If the Bulldog defense thinks they're going to half-effort tackle him, they are sorely mistaken.
1. The total number of interceptions snagged by the Vanderbilt defense this season, good for last in the SEC.
24. Passing plays of more than 20 yards allowed by Vanderbilt this season, second worst in the SEC and ahead of only South Carolina (which has given up 29). If Hutson Mason can't throw downfield on these guys he just can't throw downfield.
11 (part one). Number of passing plays of 20+ yards by the Bulldog offense, last in the SEC just behind . . . Vanderbilt (17).
11 (part two). Sacks allowed by the Commodores in 2014. Only Tennessee (12) has allowed more.
Just some things to ponder as we head into this afternoon's