Since the news broke earlier this afternoon that Florida State's Jeremy Pruitt would be replacing Todd Grantham as the Bulldogs' defensive coordinator the reaction from across sports media has been swift.
- First things first, the hire is now official, and hooray for that. I share the suspicion of some of you that this hire has been in the works for a few days. I don't know if Pruitt was the first choice. I suspect that some sort of overture was made toward Kirby Smart, if for no other reason than to be able to tell a vocal group of alumni/boosters that we tried. For my part, I'd just about rather have Pruitt, who strikes me as being similar to Kirby Smart in every respect, except that he won't be the subject of succession rumors for the entirety of his tenure in Athens. That's a good thing.
- ESPN's Edward Ashkoff thinks Mark Richt got a steal.
- At least one FSU commit who's spoken to Pruitt since the hire was announced says that Pruitt told him to stick with the 'Noles, and is "a real upstanding guy."
- But another Seminole recruit had a good idea that something was up.
- Chase Vasser wishes he could have played for Pruitt.
- Recruiting Analyst Josh Newberg said via Twitter:
Unnamed #FSU assistant tells me, "I'm sick to my stomach....I loved working with Pruitt."
— Josh Newberg (@joshnewberg247) January 14, 2014
And all over the Internet a host of FSU fans are sure that Pruitt left because he killed a man in Quincy and/or was scared to try to develop his own players. I much prefer that reaction to Seminole fans offering to help him pack, as many 'Dawg fans would have with Todd Grantham.
We'll be back with more later. But for now, welcome to Bulldog Nation, Coach Pruitt!