Ferris Bueller said it best: "Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." There’s been a lot going on lately, and I wouldn’t want you to miss anything, so here are a few data to digest over your morning cup of coffee before you begin your long weekend:
- Was it something I said? If you’re a rival fan and Charley Pell ever landed your program on probation, welcome, one and all! Oh, also, the L.S.U. faithful chimed in, as well.
- College baseball season is only a little over a month away and the defending Southeastern Conference champion Diamond Dogs are the preseason No. 5 team in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll. Among S.E.C. squads, only Louisiana State checks in ahead of the Red and Black. Could this be the year David Perno’s team makes it to Omaha in an odd-numbered season?
- Rail against the Bowl Championship Series all you like, but give the devil his due: major programs are putting together better out-of-conference matchups because of the B.C.S. Did you enjoy last season’s trip to Tempe? Are you looking forward to next autumn’s visit to Stillwater? Are you excited about the prospect of seeing the Bulldogs play in Boulder and Eugene? The existing system encourages such strong scheduling in ways a playoff never would.
- The news to our south is half good and half bad. Hey, after the half-year we just came through in Bulldog Nation, I’ll take the glass only being half-empty!
- I had the privilege of appearing on the latest edition of The CFB Weekly Radio Show, on which I tried not to sound overly dour. I’m sure I made a hash of answering the recruiting question, so MaconDawg may feel free to correct me.
I’ll be back tomorrow to report on tonight’s gymnastics meet in Baton Rouge. In the meantime, have a good weekend.