I know, I know, I know . . . I ran it all down for you first thing this morning, but there's just too much going on for me to let it go at that. Here's what else you need to know to get yourself up to date:
- Lately, I've been thinking about Southern flags. Evidently, A.C. and Ryan have, too.
- While we're on the subject of Southern iconography, I reckon I should point out that Sunday Morning Quarterback is the latest weblogger to bid a less than fond farewell to Jefferson Pilot Sports. For all the good-natured ribbing that has been given to three guys named Dave broadcasting lackluster S.E.C. matchups using equipment borrowed from their high school audio-visual club, I'm going to miss Jefferson Pilot, which provided a refreshingly unvarnished view of sweltering Southern backwaters in stark contrast to the annoyingly intrusive sci-fi touches that mar Fox Sports telecasts. Besides, you can't want Southeastern Conference football broadcast by Lincoln Financial instead of Jefferson Pilot, can you?
The Louisiana Purchase gave us the site for the Sugar Bowl. The March to the Sea caused the burning of the site of the conference championship game. Whose name belongs on S.E.C. football telecasts?
- Over at The Hogs, the Hill, and the S.E.C., the Pig Kahuna has begun his Southeastern Conference predictions and he has picked Georgia to finish atop the East.
- As if that wasn't enough, Buffalo newspaper columnist Larry Felser has the 'Dawgs ranked No. 1.
It could happen.
- Peter had some bad luck in Arkansas, but what did he expect? Arkansas, after all, is the Natural State, and, as we all know, life in the Natural State is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.
- Artfully playing the part of the delightfully crusty old codger whose age and station in life have freed him to tell the truth unapologetically, Bo Schembechler recently opined: "I would rather have an intersectional game than a midwest game. Play Southern Cal. I don't care. Play Texas . . . somebody like that. But not Notre Dame." Yost agrees: "Instead of going to South Bend again, wouldn't you rather see the Wolverines preparing to face off against Georgia between the hedges?" This is what I'm saying!
Coach Glenn E. Schembechler is my favorite "Bo."
O.K., my second-favorite "Bo."
O.K., my third-favorite "Bo."
At any rate, I like Coach Schembechler a whole lot better than this guy.
- There are a few housecleaning details to which to attend, as well: David Ching's Georgia Bulldog Blog provides detailed (and depressing) updates regarding the Bulldogs' injury situation, Home Team Blogs offers a daily roundup of events in the intercollegiate athletics blogosphere, and SportsBlogs Nation has welcomed yet another S.E.C. weblog, the exquisitely well-named And the Valley Shook.
- Conquest Chronicles is calling out U.C.L.A. on its claim to academic superiority. Your Bruins Nation response is forthcoming in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
I wonder whether Nestor will point out that Brooke Burke went to U.C.L.A.?
And now you know the rest of the story.