So what's been going on in the world while I've been mocking other schools for their complete inability to match Uga in the live mascot department? I'm glad you asked. . . .
- The Diamond Dogs, ranked in the top 10 nationally, will open S.E.C. tournament play against Vanderbilt at 2:00 this afternoon. In the meantime, while you were sleeping, the top-seeded Georgia men's tennis team took on second-seeded Pepperdine last night, rallying to overcome a deficit yet losing the national championship to the Waves.
- One of the beauties of college football is that rivalries know no offseason. The Battle of Los Angeles continues to rage between Bruins Nation and College Football Resource, while there is no mistaking the intensity of the rivalry between South Carolina and Clemson. (Speaking of rivalries, by the way, the Cocktail Party site discussion is going on over at Football Huddle 3.0.)
I'm taking these fellows at their word when they say they don't like each other very much.
- A.C. Evans is keeping us posted on the Redcoat Band's trip to China, which is one of the coolest things ever. If anybody gives you any trouble this summer, your retort should be: "Oh, yeah? Well, our band went to China!" Unless you're arguing with an astronaut who can break out the "I walked on the moon" trump card, that guy's losing an argument.
- We already knew Orson and Stranko were cool, but now we know that Paul Westerdawg's dad thinks they're cooler than he is, too. I'm not what you'd call a Paul Finebaum fan, but the guy had a point about Il Duce.
- Finally, Doug is leading the surreal life, which reminds me . . . whatever happened to the idea for a college football webloggers edition of "The Real World"?