Per Seth Emerson, and coming from Todd Grantham...
"Give Georgia credit for keeping this one a bit under its hat: In a somewhat major personnel change, Alec Ogletree is shifting from safety to inside linebacker.
Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham announced the move Thursday.
"He's a tall guy. He's got good size, he's got good speed, he can hit," Grantham said of Ogletree, who started the latter part of the 2010 season at safety. "I feel like moving him closer to the ball is going to allow him to make more plays, and be more productive for us."
Ogletree's move also allows Jarvis Jones to play outside linebacker. So that's settled too, apparently.
Grantham also detailed a few other personnel notes:
- Justin Anderson is indeed shifting back to offensive line.
- Dexter Morant and T.J. Stripling, still rehabbing injuries, will not participate in spring practice.
- Cornelius Washington and Ray Drew will compete at the "Will" outside linebacker spot, vacated by Justin Houston's departure to the NFL.
- Christian Robinson, the other inside linebacker, is essentially being made the captain of the defense. Grantham is putting a lot of his trust in the leadership of the junior-to-be.
- As for safety, Grantham said Ogletree's move is "a good opportunity" for Jakar Hamilton. The junior college transfer started several games last year before slipping out of favor. Grantham also mentioned Marc Deas, but you have to imagine some of the incoming recruits will also get a look to play alongside Bacarri Rambo.
Read more: http://dawg-extra.blogspot.com/2011/03/alec-ogletree-moves-to-inside.html#ixzz1FZqfSOuO