Friday is once more upon us and there's too much to do for me to tarry over the pleasantries, so let's dive right in with both feet. Here's what's going on in the blogosphere:
- Burnt Orange Nation has been patient long enough and now the gauntlet has been thrown down at the feet of Sunday Morning Quarterback: B.O.N. has started a petition to have the Texas preview posted forthwith and S.M.Q. has promised to honor the request within 48 hours of the delivery of 300 legitimate signatures. For the record, I was the 17th signatory on this petition; will you be the next one?
- I have been struggling with my longstanding estrangement from major league baseball, but I have benefited from the wise counsel of my fellow webloggers and my loyal readers. Your comments are most welcome.
Dale Murphy never bet on baseball or took steroids. Heck, Dale would be morally outraged to know that you're drinking a cup of coffee right now!
- College Football Resource is making good sense: Washington's football program ought to be better, Division I-A has too many teams, and the B.C.S. standings don't need to be released any earlier. Upon this latter point, L.D. has expounded eloquently and correctly.
- As all of you are aware, I don't follow soccer, but, perversely, I now have reason to feel grave concern over Team U.S.A.'s elimination: it means Alabama will be good in 2007 . . . and Georgia plays at Tuscaloosa that year!
Does the United States' winless run through the World Cup mean we're going to have to tangle with this guy the year after next?
- Not only has The Hobnailed Boot gotten Bulldog Nation all revved up, he's gotten a conversation going, too.
- Our old pal Mike Floyd has directed our attention to August 12's tribute roast for Larry Munson. I'm guessing a good time will be had by all, although I probably should steer clear of the festivities, since Loran Smith will be there and I don't think Loran likes me very much. My former "Dawg Show" co-host, Travis Rice, and I were the opening act at a South Metro Bulldog Club meeting at which Loran was the featured speaker, and Trav and I did a bit about the things Larry and Loran talk about in the pregame show instead of talking about the dadgum game. Loran was good-natured about it, but I got the distinct impression that we'd ticked him off just a little bit, so I'm letting discretion be the better part of valor on this one. You should go, though.
Loran will pummel me about the head and neck with an uncooked leg of lamb if I show my face within a hundred yards of the Larry Munson tribute roast.
That ought to get you up to date. Have a good weekend.